Thank you for your interest in the 2019 MIAMI UNIVERSITY PRESS NOVELLA PRIZE! This year we welcome Daisy Hernández, author of A Cup of Water Under My Bed, as final judge.
The submission window is now open with an August 31st, 2018 deadline. Connect with us @MiamiUPress for updates and news!
This year we are honored to have Daisy Hernández as the final judge. Daisy is the author of A Cup of Water Under My Bed: A Memoir and coeditor of Colonize This! Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism. Her essays and fiction have been published in Aster(ix), Brevity, Dogwood, Fourth Genre, Gulf Coast, Juked, Rumpus, and Tricycle: The Buddhist Review among others. A journalist and former editor of ColorLines magazine, Daisy has reported for The Atlantic, The New York Times, and Slate, and her writing has been aired on NPR's All Things Considered. She is an Assistant Professor in the Creative Writing Program at Miami University in Ohio.
- The MUPress Novella Prize is awarded to a novella-length manuscript of original fiction. The winner receives $750 against royalties, a standard contract, publication by Miami University Press and 10 copies of the book.
- Reading Fee: A $25 reading fee entitles each entrant to a copy of the winning novella. Visit miamioh.edu/mupress/novella for more details about the prize and previous winners.
- Length Requirements: Manuscripts must be 18,000–40,000 words. Unfortunately, shorter or longer manuscripts will be disqualified without refund.
- Format Requirements: Manuscripts should be double-spaced and use a standard 12 pt. font, and include page numbers. Please be sure your name does not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- Eligibility: Previously published works are not eligible. Simultaneous submissions are welcomed; please notify us immediately if your submission is accepted for publication elsewhere. Previous Novella Prize winners are ineligible. Students, former students, faculty, former faculty, or anyone connected to Miami University are not eligible to enter. By submitting your work and the form below you certify that you are not in any way affiliated with Miami University.
Thank you! We look forward to reading your entry!